Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What is in a name?

All of us have names, it's the thing people call you by (obviously). We were all blessed with a name that our parents bestowed upon us because: a.) It reflected a personal experience in their life and they wanted us to be that eternal reminder. b.) Said name was all the rage back then, times when every parent named their child the same. c.) Your parents were uncreative and went for a simple name.

Where am I going with all of this? You'll see in a moment.

Names have ranged from the common to the truly bizarre, (I advise you to check the link out, personal favorite: Dick Assman) I however have a pretty common name, both first and last. My first name is Mark and my last name is Ramos, the combination of two common names to make one mega common name. Join me in my journey to see how many people have been blessed with a name like mine! Enter... GOOGLE!

After a quick search of my name I checked out how many results the search yielded.
Seven million and two-hundred thousand people! SEVEN MILLION TWO-HUNDRED THOUSAND. For fun, I wanted to see what the other Mes were doing with their lives, then I can unravel who I was in my past life!

First link was labeled Mark Ramos - TV.com. Looks promising, unfortunately I could not open the link because the damn Internet is acting up again! CURSE YOU DOWNTIME!!!

On to the next one which says RamosDesigns.com where I (presumably) design web sites. Pretty boring website, at least it wasn't interior design.

And then I see a website that says "Mark Ramos and Jan Ramos Married?"
That may sound fine to you but here's the disturbing part... I have an uncle named Jan... The Horror... The sheer true horror.

The advantage though of having a name like mine is the ability to stay anonymous, I mean if you had a name like: "Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfe­schlegelstein­hausenberger­dorffvoraltern­waren­gewissenhaft­schaferswessen­schafewaren­wohlgepflege­und­sorgfaltigkeit­beschutzen­von­angreifen­durch­ihrraubgierigfeinde­welche­voraltern­zwolftausend­jahres­vorandieerscheinen­wander­ersteer­dem­enschderraumschiff­gebrauchlicht­als­sein­ursprung­von­kraftgestart­sein­lange­fahrt­hinzwischen­sternartigraum­auf­der­suchenach­diestern­welche­gehabt­bewohnbar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wohin­der­neurasse­von­verstandigmen­schlichkeit­konnte­fortplanzen­und­sicher­freuen­anlebens­langlich­freude­und­ruhe­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­angreifen­von­anderer­intelligent­geschopfs­von­hinzwischen­sternartigraum, Senior" (no shit, it's a real name) everyone would know who you are! (If they can pronounce the damn thing). Let me give you a scenario: I rob a bank, I am fully covered from head to toe, I leave a name card ahead that says "Mark Ramos" the people will then say which "Mark Ramos? There's a million of 'em!" Am I right? But if you were stupid enough to leave a name card, or even find a card long enough, with your retardedly long behemoth of a name behind, the cops would know it was ajsnfncvdvdfdvv or what ever his name was.

Anonymity is pretty important this day and age, when you have multiple accounts make sure to have a unique name for most of them. I know a person who ues one, just ONE, pseudonym for every account she has! You enter that name and all of the sites she has ties with will come out! As for me though, you'll have a tough time findng me, I am the Internet Anonymous!!!! Search me, Fear me.

4 comments:

Iggy said...

"I know a person who ues one, just ONE, pseudonym for every account she has!"

-- who, me?

MarkEl said...

Naw, another person I've been cyberstalking.

Iggy said...

ooooh, markel. I think I can guess who...

MarkEl said...

Go ahead, make my day.

hehehe.