Monday, September 22, 2008

Prolly the most creative dessert I've eaten

I am a massive sweet tooth, (teeth if you're really counting). My first love, I can recall, is a bar of Hershey's... or a big glass of apple juice.Anyway, I am disheartened by the fact that Hershey's are changing a key ingredient in their products, they've swapped cocoa butter for vegetable oil, the change may save the company money but at the huge price of changing a taste which molded childhoods around the world.

My reaction shortly after hearing the news.

But that's for another article.

What I'm going to talk about now is this:

What is it? Is it another UWE BOLL... Whoops, got carried away there. Have you guessed? It's Ice cream sushi, the restaurant calls it "Frozen Maki" and trust me, it is frozen, if you have sensitive teeth, best to let it thaw first. "Ice cream sushi?!" you may ask and yes it really is. The wrapping is some kind of bread and the inside is vanilla ice cream with a mango slice inside, the dipping sauce is Hershey's (R.I.P. Cocoa butter era Hershey's) Chocolate syrup. At Congo Grille you can get this for... Eh, dad pays for the lunch, how am I supposed to know? It comes in five pieces, and it even comes with one of those fake grass thingies!

Taste, the most important aspect of any dessert. How does this one fare? Average, nothing really special. I mean, it's just Selecta vanilla ice cream wrapped in bread with a mango slice in the middle! Well, maybe for the extreme sweet-tooth like me, it comes up short on the sweetness scale, but for (ahem) normal people, this could be just fine.

This dessert will be judged according to the Iron chef Criteria. 10 points for presentation, 10 points for originality, and a maximum of 20 points for taste.

Presentation: 9/10
It is presented on a neat little sushi plate, it doesn't get any better than that.

Originality: 8/10
Have you ever seen one of these before? You have? erm...

Taste: 9/20
Pretty bland for my liking

Overall: 26/40
A fun little dessert that has little more to offer than a cool idea.

No comments: